We are delighted to share that Vana recently achieved its LEED Platinum Certification from the US Green Building Council, making it Indiaís first Retreat to have attained this standard.
Since the Retreatís very conceptualisation, sensitivity to ecology has played an intrinsic role in our thinking.
Vana ís design upholds high standards in sustainability and energy optimisation, with special effort to manage water and waste as effectively as possible.
Below are highlights of what we incorporated in our design and operations:
- Preservation of the site's natural topography, orchards and mature trees
- Harvesting of rainwater
- Optimal landscaping and irrigation systems
- Use of 100% GOTS certified organic cotton bed, bath and wellness linen
- Use of green laundry and cleaning chemicals
- Vast use of FSC-certified bamboo flooring and veneer
- Majority FSC-certified wood
- 30-50% higher fresh air intake into all spaces
- Use of low-emitting adhesives, paints and composite wood products
- 90% of all internal and external lighting high-end LEDs
- Automatic HVAC and lighting in guest rooms to save energy
- Double-glazed glass used for all windows
- VFDs and heat recovery in all AHUs
- Nearly all stationery, collateral and packaging used throughout Vana is created using 100% post-consumer recycled waste (PCRW) or recycled Kraft paper.
- Use of materials such as wood, cotton, bamboo, nettle, wool, metal, recyclable plastic and paper in all product development.
- In-house water bottling plant. Upto 100,000 plastic bottles saved a year.
- Organic cotton attire for guests
- Room linen not replaced daily unless requested.
- Organic grains, pulses, oils, soya products and more used in kitchens.
- Strictly avoid processed, refined and synthetic food in kitchens.
- Locally sourced milk, tofu, cheese, honey, mushrooms and certain vegetables and grains, produced and grown naturally.
- Organic and bio-dynamic teas and coffees
- No chemical fertilisers, pesticides, GMOs used in the entire Retreat. Salads, herbs and some vegetables and fruit grown completely naturally.
- Composting of food and green matter done at the Retreat.
- Planting of naturalised and indigenous species in landscaping.
- Minimal external lighting after dark to minimise light pollution.
- Favourable environment for butterflies, birds and insects
- Use of high quality, natural and partially organic ingredients for Vanaís own product range, Vanaveda.
- Internal culture of reusing, recycling and double-sided printing.
"Our motivation to achieve this Certification stems from our genuine desire to be sensitive to the environment, both in the Retreatís creation and in all its operations. We have strived to go beyond our obligation to LEED and are grateful for this small yet meaningful milestone in our journey." ~ Veer Singh
We thank our team and USGBC for their sincere efforts and commitment.